Welcome to our FAQs section. Below you will find answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. If you happen to have a question that has not been answered yet, please email it to our team at


18k gold is 75% pure gold, mixed with 25% of an alloy to strengthen it. It is considered to be fine jewelry because of the high content of pure gold.

Common alloys include nickel, silver, and copper. For example,18k white gold is alloyed with silver or palladium, etc.

18 karat gold is available at KALOI Jewelry in three colors; yellow, white, and rose gold.

Since the composition of 18 karat gold is 75% pure gold, the other 25% mixed metal is what determines the overall color.

For example;

For yellow gold, pure gold is only mixed with silver as a means of strengthening the metal and not changing the color.

For rose gold, pure gold is mixed with copper and silver.

For white gold, pure gold is mixed with nickel, copper & zinc.

18 karat gold is ideal for people with sensitive skin types. Due to the higher content of pure gold in the jewelry, it is less likely for a reaction to occur.

18 karat gold lasts forever! What doesn't last is the shine, due to every-day activities and daily use, but that can simply be treated by cleaning and storing the jewelry properly.

carat is a unit of weight used to measure the size of a gemstone such as a diamond. A karat is a measurement indicating the proportion of gold in an alloy out of 24 parts, so 18K gold is 18/24 parts gold.

The alloy is what makes the gold stronger, and its perfect for everyday wear. 18K gold contains 75% pure gold and remaining 25% alloy.

Yes, you can shower with your solid gold jewelry. Wearing it in the shower will not harm the metal itself, whether it is yellow gold, rose gold, or white gold. You should know, however, that showering with your solid gold jewelry will cause it to lose its shine overtime.

We are a fully e-commerce (online) store, and although we don't not have a brick and mortar store at the moment, sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know any major news and have the complete exclusive access to KALOI Jewelry.

All inquiries regarding AFFIRM payments must be dealt with the AFFIRM customer service team directly. You can do so by logging into your AFFIRM account either online or through the app.

For more information regarding AFFIRM Financing, please refer to our complete AFFIRM FAQs here.


We ship within the U.S domestically and internationally based on requests. Please note we only offer free priority shipping on domestic orders.

Depending on the shipping method you selected, delivery times will vary. We offer complimentary Priority shipping all on U.S orders which may take up to 5-7 business days to be delivered.

If you happen to receive an order confirmation email and you notice a mistake with the order, please contact our team immediately at We will fix any information that needs to be corrected.

To track your order online you can do so here. Note: You will need your complete tracking number.

If you have additional questions regarding your order please contact our team at

All KALOI jewelry orders come in a complimentary luxury box. If you would like any additional wrapping such as a gift bag or card, please leave us a note in the comment section of the cart page.

Any other questions about gifting and local gift drop-off please contact our team at

Yes. We can ship orders internationally, however, additional fees ( such as taxes and duties ) will be applied and held responsible by the buyer. Please contact our team for an international shipping quote before purchasing.

We offer complimentary, first-class priority shipping on all U.S orders. For more shipping options please refer to the shipping page after you check out.

We offer complimentary first-class shipping on all U.S orders. Once shipped, it typically takes about 5-7 days for the order to be delivered. If you need your order delivered faster, please select a different shipping option at checkout.

If you have any questions about the arrival of your order, please contact our team at

We offer first-class priority shipping on all U.S orders, which includes insurance up to $150 and requires a signature upon delivery. If you would like to add additional insurance to your order, please contact our team and we will provide you with options. Please note: Added Insurance rates are held responsible by the customer. KALOI jewelry will not be accountable for any additional charges.


We, at KALOI Jewelry, want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase! If you are not 100% satisfied with your jewelry, we want to help you find your perfect fit. You can exchange items for store credit only within 7 days of receipt with all original packaging, and our team will help you find replacement(s). 

Items showing signs of wear or those that have been engraved, resized, or damaged in any way will not be accepted for exchange. Further, items that you have kept for more than 7 days after receipt cannot be exchanged. Items must be post marked no later than 8 days after receipt. 

Making an exchange is very simple. Just email us at requesting an exchange with your proof of purchase. Also please make sure to include the following; 

  • Your first and last name
  • Your order number
  • Your reason for exchange

NOTE: You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs when exchanging your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary. If you are shipping an item over $100, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We do not guarantee that we will receive your returned item. 

This is also applicable to all international orders. 

Refunds or cancellations are only available within 24 hours after you place your order. After 24 hours, no refunds or order cancellations are permitted. If you wish to cancel your order and be refunded, you must contact KALOI Jewelry within 24 hours of your order at

Please note we do not accept any returns or cancellations on pieces that have a broken or misplaced AMAGOLD Certificate Sticker. 


Fine jewelry is a luxury good, so it should be treated as such. As there is no problem wearing your jewels on any occasion, we still recommend being delicate with them. This means taking them off during highly active activities, cleaning them with soapy water once in a while, and storing them in a safe space so they don't lose their shine. All of these tips will help ensure lifetime longevity of your KALOI Jewelry piece.

Cleaning jewelry from home is actually quite an easy process.

Step 1) FILL UP A BOWL: Fill up a bowl with warm water and add a few drops of a mild liquid dish soap, Blue Dawn works great for this.

Step 2) LEAVE JEWELRY TO SOAK: Pop your jewelry into the bowl with warm soapy water and leave for 15 minutes to soak.

Step 3) SCRUB WITH A SOFT TOOTHBRUSH: Use a soft-bristle toothbrush to loosen any stubborn dirt between settings or details.

Step 4) RINSE AND DRY: Rinse your jewelry under lukewarm water and then dry the jewelry by gently patting it with a soft cloth.

Silver jewelry requires little maintenance and can easily be cleaned at home with soap and water.

Follow the same steps as listed under "How do I clean 18 karat gold jewelry at home?".

It is completely fine to apply perfume or lotions while wearing your fine jewelry. However, we recommend doing so before you put on your jewelry, in order to prevent dullness and increase the lifetime of your jewelry.

Yes. Due to the high content of gold and or/ sterling silver, it is safe to get your jewelry wet. However, we recommend removing your jewelry if you are applying lotions, sunscreen, perfume, etc as these will dull the shine of your piece.